Monday, March 24, 2008

Part I: Bill Clinton and me

Well, after struggling for a few weeks at not being creative, I figured this week I would turn my attention towards the other topic of the class, community. As a political science major I was quite excited to discover that Bill Clinton would be coming to Fort Wayne to give a stump speech for his wife Hillary. While I am by no means a Hillary Clinton supporter, I did feel the urge to go listen to the former President of the United States give a speech and also, to watch democracy in action.

I did not want to go alone and find myself in a room full of Hillary Clinton supporters so I first needed to convince my friend Chase to skip class and come with me. After doing my own little bit of politicking (which I'll get to later), to get him to come on this little adventure, we were on our way. We left IPFW shortly before the start of our 4:30 class. This reminds me, I have to send an e-mail to my professor in order to explain why I wasn’t in class. I felt bad, but really how often does someone like this come to Fort Wayne? Hopefully he'll forgive me. I mean I’ve had him since school started in the fall and, I am pretty sure, this is the first class (out of like fifty) I have missed. And, after all, it was educational.

We arrived at about 5:00, approximately two hours and thirteen minutes before the President would begin speaking. A line of people who wanted to hear the President had already filled up the entire Grand Wayne Center and spilled into the street outside. We took our place in line and began to take in the sites.

Now, before I continue, I should probably give a brief description of my best friend Chase. Deep down we are extremely similar people. We both tend to be smart asses and we both feel a slight sense of intellectual superiority over others in the most important things in life (namely politics, all of history, sports, fantasy sports, betting on sports, and South Park). However, while I struggle immensely to bury this innate sense of self-satisfaction, which always tends to piss people off, Chase relishes it. Now, like I said, I am an Obama supporter and not at all a fan of Hillary Clinton. Chase is the same. Here we are among about 4000 people that don’t think like us. However, while all I wanted to do was watch the speech, Chase decided the only way he would go with me (which goes back to the politicking I had to do to get him to come) was if we upset people so much that we both ended up getting tazered like the kid from Florida at the John Kerry speech.



Ok, where was I? Man, don’t you hate it when your typing along minding your own business when some jokester thinks it would be a good idea to pull the fire alarm at IPFW? There I was in Neff trying to communicate on my blog, to my classmates, about my awesome experience at the Bill Clinton speech when I get rudely interrupted by AAAAANNNNNNNNN (look an onomatopoeia). That’s like the second time I have had to leave a building at IPFW because somebody has pulled a fire alarm. I am pretty sure it wasn’t a test because there was no fire truck outside. Although, by the time I copied and pasted my post onto Microsoft Word, saved the document, opened webmail, attached the post, and mailed it to myself, the truck could have already left. I mean, I wasn’t about to just leave because the building might be on fire…I already had like four hundred and fifty words. Anyway, thanks to that prankster I am already way over the word limit for this week. I certainly wouldn’t want to just keep rambling on like I did last week.

So, I guess this will be the first part of a two part posting which I will finish next week. I’m sorry if you’re just finishing reading my post for this week because next week’s post will be way better. Next week when I go over the President’s speech I will get to a crazy Obama supporter (not named Chase or Conor), crazy right-wingers exploiting small children, a disgruntled security guard, a verbal warning, futuristic brain scanning devices, women that think they’re better then you because they drive hybrids, and, who knows, maybe they’ll be a tornado warning too.

2 comments:

Annelise said...

It sounds like an interesting gathering. My grandparents are really into Obama, and I've seen one of his speeches on tv (which sounded pretty good). I'm looking forward to reading the next installment.

calea said...

I've been waiting all week for part 2! where is it? I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear about the hybrid ladies. anyway, I like your blog! I was going to skip class to go to that speech (I'm not a Hillary fan, either, just thought it'd be interesting) but I didn't and now I wish I had. o and sorry about the fire alarm...