Thursday, March 6, 2008

The problem with creative writing

Man, creative writing is so difficult for me. I really am just a boring person I suppose. I sit here and try to come up with something interesting to talk about but, if anybody has seen my blog, a lot of times I just revert back to talking about Indiana basketball. I can't write poems except maybe limericks, those are easy. I'm not huge on the idea of blogging. The idea that anybody in the world could (theoretically) see what I am writing about is bothersome. Yet, at the same time, I know I have to "force myself to get in the right position" to write a blog. Since I am not creative, I guess I'll just give an account of a day in my life. Well yesterday, or I suppose it was Tuesday, as I sat in Dr. Amidon's class I realized I didn't have a snow scraper in my car. Great. Over the course of about an hour and a half, two inches of snow and ice piled up on my wind shield. When I got to my car I realized it would have taken at least an hour for the defroster to take care of all of it. Instead I decided to clear off my windshield with a gym sneaker. I wonder what other students were thinking when they saw me outside of my car trying to remove snow with a shoe?

-Wow, look at that idiot trying to beat up his car with a gym shoe.

-Poor guy, he’s paying so much for gas that he can’t afford an ice scraper.

-Really?

Anyway, I was about half way through beating the ice off of my wind shield when I suddenly realized that I didn't have to work tonight. At first, I thought "Wow that's great I don't have to work tonight"...just like that. But then, I suddenly got a deep sinking feeling in my gut. I realized I was going to have to visit my girlfriend. Great, I thought. The last thing I want to do tonight is go see her. God, why didn't I get scheduled at work? Oh well, maybe I can tell her....no never mind IU plays on Wednesday. Oh man, I am going to have to go visit her, I have no excuse. As I was driving over there, I found myself continually contemplating driving off the road...I mean the weather was horrible and even professional drivers like me make mistakes. In the end, even being the unintelligent college student that I am, I decided against the idea.

I finally got over to her house and slowly began walking up the steps to her door. God, I really don't want to do this. Why can't I just go home? I can't because I work the rest of the week and I won't see her much until the weekend. There is no other choice; I am just going to have to deal with this.


I knocked on the door. Then I rang the doorbell.


I see her turn the corner into her hallway, happy to see me as always. She was already in her pajamas, excited as can be. Here we go. Just get this over with and get on with life.


She opened the door and let me inside. No sooner had I entered the house and had a chance to remove my sneakers (the non-snow removing ones) and my coat before I heard his voice. God I hate this guy. He’s the reason I didn’t want to come over here in the first place. He's always so happy and witty and he is always over at my girlfriend’s house on Tuesdays. I get lead into the living room at 8:05 and I know I’m going to have to pretend to be interested in what this guy has to say for at least an hour. I enter the living room and finally get a good look at him.

Hello, Ryan Seacrest,we meet again.


Why God? Why am I going to have to listen to this guy talk and listen to other equally uninteresting people sing for an hour? I hate American Idol. It's not that I'm against the whole mass marketing of the show or anything like that, in fact, I think the creator of the show is a genius. One day, IPFW will probably have a marketing class just to teach how amazing the marketing was behind the most popular television show of all time.

It also isn’t because I particularly dislike the music. My buddy, who is in a band, is always bashing the music. Oh, American Idol, it’s so commercialized…or it’s such a fad…or none of those people have any talent once so ever. So who cares? The only music I listen to is marketed to me by gigantic corporations. I don’t listen to music often, but the music I do listen to is all main stream.

With music in general I am pretty indifferent. I usually listen to AM radio mostly, so I really don’t get to listen to that much music on the radio, simply because there is not that much music on AM radio anymore. On top of that, the only music on AM radio requires a person to be fluent in Espanola or the Bible and I’m only partially fluent in one of those.

Oh man, there is still thirty-five minutes left in the show.
(twenty-three minutes worth of commercials)

The worst part is I could be watching CNN’s, very limited, sixty hour coverage of the Texas and Ohio primaries. Oh well, maybe American Idol will show updates on the bottom the screen as the results come in…I can see it now oh wait that’s just another Ford Motor advertisement.

Twenty minutes left in the show.
(fourteen minutes worth of commercials)

The thing is, I actually like the concept of American Idol and I actually enjoy seeing my girlfriend most of the time. The problem is she has been watching this show religiously (along with thirty million other Americans) for like five years now. This show honestly makes me wish Grey’s Anatomy was on.

Eight minutes left.
(seven minutes worth of commercials)

Finally, I thought of something that made me completely forget about American Idol

and Ryan

and Randy

and Simon

and Paula

and Ford

I remembered that IU is playing Minnesota tomorrow. Not only that, the game is going to be awesome because it will be senior (and Eric Gordon) night at Assembly Hall in Bloomington.

Not only that, I’m going to be there for the game.

Shows over…


It was so awesome, IU beat Minnesota by fourteen points and I got to listen to all of the senior speeches after the game. Seriously, for DJ White two words, one hyphen— Warrior-poet.

So as you can see, in the end, I once again am stuck on the boring topic of IU basketball. There are so many more interesting topics to talk about, but for some reason I can never really come up with any. I wish I could come up with something more interesting to talk about, but I just can’t do it. I don’t know, maybe next week I will be able to come up with something a little more creative. I know like an IU limerick.

3 comments:

Therese said...

A boring person does not take their shoe off to scrap the ice off of their windshield! Not only is that imaginative, but also shows some ingenuity. Everyone has something interesting to share - You never know...you might save that incident and write a book someday entitled, "50 ways to get out of a jam." :) At any rate...thanks for the laugh!

Dennis J. Junk said...

What's it called when someone who claims not to have anything to say goes on to tell a funny story and then goes on further to make some pretty incisive remarks about a topic near and dear to everyone's heart--how horrible the AI phenomenon is? Did you notice how far over the 600 word limit you went? As for creative writing, forget topic, you have voice, that's much harder to come by.

Anonymous said...

I would have to concur with the other commenters here, Conor. Today is the first day I've visited your blog, and it's been an interesting read. Despite your claims of not being creative, it is very creative indeed. Plus, fun to read. Well done!

Thom