I am not that good at keeping up on blogging. Last semester, I also had to keep a blog for Professor Amidon’s class. The class was Business and Technical Writing and all the students were required to have about 35-40 blog entries over the course of the semester. I always had such a hard time filling out my blog entries for the class because I often felt like I just didn’t have anything to say. The blog was not about business or technical writing per se, but a place for Professor Amidon’s students to discuss ideas about a general topic each student had chosen earlier in the semester (which was supposed to be concerned in some manner with business). I chose to write about the effects of blogs, but often, students just chose to follow their favorite football team.
Again this semester I am having a hard time making sure my blog is kept up to date, but since nobody in class has my site link yet, I guess it is not too late to catch up. I think the reason that I have such a hard time keeping up my blog is because I feel like I am talking (on my blog) just for the sake of writing. I understand that it is an important outlet to focus on writing openly and creatively, but I just have a hard time shaking the feeling.
I guess this feeling comes from a resentment of people that talk simply to hear themselves speak. Everybody knows about the kind of person I am talking about. I do not know if these people just generally resent silence or are scared of not being the center of attention, at least, for part of the time. I was at this thing last Saturday taking a tour with a group of, more or less, extremely intelligent people. Now every four or five minutes, the tour guide would stop and politely ask if anyone in the crowd (there was approximately fifteen of us) had any questions. One girl had to ask at least one question every single time the tour guide stopped. Literally, she asked as many questions as the other fourteen people on the tour combined. It drove me crazy. And trust me, most of these questions were not exactly well thought out, pre-planned questions. The questions were more like, well the guide asked if anyone has questions, so I better say something. The thing is, I actually had a conversation with the girl later that day and she seemed like a really nice person. I’m not making the claim that people that do it are bad people, it is just one of those personality traits that annoys me.
Now I feel bad, because I also hate people like me that just complain about other types of people without ever saying something directly to that person. I mean who the hell am I to judge other people? What makes the girl that asks a bunch of questions on a tour, worse than the boy that sits back and rips into her because he has a hard time thinking of things to talk about on his blog?
Because really, the fact is that the girl that had to speak to hear herself speak, which I thought annoyed me, was really a God send because it gave a boy, who couldn’t think of anything to discuss on his blog, something to write about. So, I would like to thank that girl on the tour that would not stop talking for giving me something to write about.
Sincerely,
The boy with nothing to say
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Why didn't you tell her to shut up? Then you could have told us all about how you told her off and punched out her friends! You probably gave up punching people for lent? Yeah, me too. But it makes for better stories.
Shit, I almost forgot. Good arguments about leading a good life.
Post a Comment