Thursday, February 7, 2008

Week III

Well, there has certainly been a lot going on this week. So instead of picking just one topic and writing about it, I figure I’ll just go over some of the things that I have been paying attention to lately.

First, I want to thank the graduate students that helped teach class last week. They were all very courteous and were able to keep a laid back atmosphere and get all the class exercises done. Thankfully, none of them took their authority position too seriously and were very helpful in guiding the rest of us. I even got home in time to see the tip of the IU game. That brings up another topic for this week, sports.

The Super Bowl was amazing. I don’t like the Giants, but that was definitely the best football game I’ve seen since USC played Texas in the 2006 Rose Bowl. However, as much as I enjoyed the Super Bowl, it is always a sad time of year for me. Unfortunately, I now have to wait seven months before the 2008 regular season begins. I guess it really doesn’t matter though, because I am a Buffalo Bills fan. I should actually be glad football is over because it will be seven months without feeling constantly disappointed and having almost every week start off on the wrong foot because the Bills lost. I can now let other things in sports disappoint me instead. For instance, I can now be disappointed with the Indiana Hoosiers, which after losing to Wisconsin last Thursday, are now 0-3 against top 25 RPI teams. In addition, I can be disappointed that Bobby Knight, the greatest basketball coach ever- of all time- ever is retiring. Finally, once basketball runs its course, I can turn my disappointment to the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox, with the league’s fourth highest payroll, will probably continue to underperform in 2008. Not only that, but their weak spot is middle relief pitching. So they are often winning for a good portion of the game before they disappoint me two and a half hours into the telecast. That should keep me disappointed right through September, but hey, at least football will be back by then…and the cycle of disappointment can continue.

Next, Monday’s fog was pretty ridiculous. I had to drive in it for a couple of hours and I must say I never remember fog being that bad in Fort Wayne. I felt like I could have been driving around in Sleepy Hollow. I am a delivery driver, which is a pretty sweet job for a college kid. I can talk on my phone all I want, listen to music, and make in the neighborhood of $15 an hour (could be more if gas wasn’t so expensive). Still, driving down Parnell, trying to find a street address with people behind me was quite difficult.

Finally, Super Tuesday was yesterday and wow there was a lot of media coverage. The funny thing is they have almost turned the election process into a sporting event. It is ridiculous. Come to think of it even Fox, on the day of the Super Bowl, was mixing its political coverage with the pregame show. It looks like John McCain is going to win the nomination for the Republicans now, but the Democratic nomination (since they don’t have the winner take all primaries) is still neck and neck. All I know is that I am really pulling for Barack Obama. But, if politics is now a sporting event and sports continue to disappoint me, than that means that Hillary Clinton will probably end up winning the nomination from the Democrats…and the cycle of disappointment continues.

1 comment:

Aye said...

Thanks for your comment. I also enjoyed the class on that day. you guys did a very good job i must say. i will try to update more about my experiences in Korea.
Normally, i don't watch superball because i don't know how to watch ( don't know who is winning or losing ).
but on that day, i watched it with my friends. I am amazed those two brothers.
Anyway, i enjoy having you in the class.